Mailing List

Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Speed of DarkThe Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one hell of a fantastic SF and it hit me in all the right feels. It's not flashy, either, just really well made.

It's also custom-made for anyone wanting to see and feel what life would be like as a high-functioning autistic. Its set in the near future, with talk of highly advanced treatments and AIs, but the real joy is in the narrator's outlook, the focus on patterns in everything, everywhere.

For while this novel is pretty soft-SF, it actually has a hard-SF feel because of the character. And even though he goes to work, has hobbies, thinks about having a love life, and continually strives to be better, the difference within his perception of things is a real joy.

I love this book. I really love this book. It's not even one I would have normally picked to love, either. It just slammed into me from out of nowhere. It even has sword fights. :) Well, fencing. And bombs! Um, dangerous pranks and jilted lovers. :)

Yes, it is a joyous celebration of differences in humanity, but more than that, this novel is also a great story. :)

I totally recommend it for anyone, anywhere.

Even those of us who already "think differently". :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment